Tuesday, July 19, 2005

What does a guy need to do to get a Visa around this place?

So about 1 month ago, I sent my Nigerian Visa application to the Nigerian High Commission in Ottawa. I sent the forms in quadruplicate; is quadruplicate even a word? I sent my Letter of Invitation, half a dozen photos, notices of Expatriate Quota, names of References in Nigeria, a detailed description of my new job in Nigeria etc etc etc...

Then after a couple weeks, I get a phone message - I need a Police Clearance. I mean really... the country if full of con artists and they want me to get a Police Clearance? Okay, fine, whatever. So, I spend half a day at the RCMP and I deliver my Police Clearance to the Nigerian High Commission.

Another week passes. I check on the status - No problem they say, you'll have your VISA long before your July 18th flight.

Friday the 16th, two days before I am supposed to make my trip around the world, they call and inform us that I need to supply a certified letter from the Nigerian Government in Nigeria showing that the company has sufficient Expatriate Quota. Hmm, a certified letter from Nigeria, that sounds easy, probably won't take too long.... I won't hold my breath.

So, I call the travel agent and re-book my flight for July 27th.

Désirée is excited about the delay and I am too - it just gets harder and harder to keep saying good bye to our friends. You get mentally prepared for the trip and saying goodbye. But, the extra time will allow me enough time to finish packing my gear, buying clothes, sell my truck and prepare for the wedding. Another week with Desi is great as I won't get to see her again until just before our wedding in September! So, as the saying goes, every cloud has a silver lining!

RQ

update: Planning on leaving July 27th now - assuming I get a visa by then...

No comments: