Just an update for those who are worried about me living in a hotel which is probably no-one:
I got my passport back with a new visa and a residence permit! This is really good news because if I didn't get it back, I wouldn't be able to fly home for the wedding!!!
I got our little vehicle. It is a Toyota Rav4 - green with a cd player. Not quite as nice as my Tacoma - but it is the first new vehicle that I have ever had - crazy.
I hired a driver and a stewardess / cook. The driver's name is Rotimi and he seems nice enough - he gets paid about 25,000 Naira per month plus overtime if we go out in the evenings. 25,000 Naira works out to about $175 US and from that he must support his wife and 3 children. The stewardess (she cleans/shops for groceries/laundry), her name is Josephine and she seems really sweet. She will be working part time for us and part time for another lady in our building. She is going to move into the quarters available for house help with her husband. She will get paid about 10,000 Naira per month or less than $75 US! We will also end up paying for transportation/health care/school for kids/bonuses etc for them because otherwise, they could not afford it! They both seem like very nice, trustworthy and kind people so, it will be great to have them and their families around.
Last thing to sort out will be the flat - which I will be working on today. It is nice and brand new - over looks Kuramo Waters, a small lagoon. Right now, I need to figure out how to get a stove put in and have the furniture set up before I leave for Canada! Patience is required!
RQ
Friday, August 26, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment